Saturday, August 7, 2010

Civilized Chaoyang!



I have now been in Beijing for over two months and I feel like I have adapted very smoothly into the Beijing lifestyle. I know my way around the subway and I’m starting to learn about more obscure Beijing venues and “cool” places to go. It’s a shame I only have two weeks left. Anyway, today’s post is about propaganda posters and why the US should have them too. As you can see from the Civilized Chaoyang poster (Chaoyang is the district in which I live in), the government is trying to promote a “civilized” and developed society. Everywhere you go there seems to be some sort of propaganda poster promoting a civilized lifestyle or being environmentally friendly. I find these posters to be quite funny, but I also believe they have many good aspects to them. I don't think it's the governments job to tell its citizens what to do, but I think they serve an honest purpose that unites the people around a common cause (I'm not just talking about being "civilized"). Additionally, every day around 1:30 in the afternoon I receive a text message from China Mobile, my phone carrier, with a joke or a reminder to be environmentally friendly. A majority of people don't receive these messages but since I bought a really cheap plan I get "spamed" with these messages. I really don't mind and sometimes the jokes are funny (if I can read them that is).

Should the US adopt something like this? Would it help dispel the partisanship (I believe) currently hindering America's economic and social progress? Or would it be met with strong opposition and fail? Please discuss!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is a fine line between promoting or encouraging an idea and dictating it as the idea with one way to implement it. Growing up in Ireland billboards helped stop people littering. It seems almost un-American but if it is more promotional and less preachy it could work. US magazine ads for a greener future often do a good job.